Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Typical Day At Home

A typical day at our house usually begins around 8 in the morning, when Little Man wakes up. I drag my still sleepy body, up, out of the bed, and try to make my way up the stairs without falling. When I walk into his room, he's usually already standing up in his crib, smiling, and holding his arms out toward me as far as they will reach. After our hugs, snuggles and kisses, I grab some diapers, pick out his outfit for the day, and we make our way back downstairs.



First things first - it's time for a diaper change (oh what fun!). After I change his diaper, he immediately goes to sit on his big boy potty...and just sits and sits (at this point in potty training, the most he's ever done is make a "pssssss" sound with his mouth - it's really cute! At least he has an idea of what's suppose to be going in the potty.).



After potty time, it's time for breakfast. I turn on the coffee maker (mmmmm)



and get breakfast started for Little Man. This morning he had applesauce, yogurt, cheerios and milk. When he's finished, if I'm a good Wife that morning, I'll make my husband some breakfast too while Little Man plays in the kitchen.



When breakfast is over and my husband has left for the day, I check the calendar for any appointments, get myself and the baby dressed, brush our teeth, and I wash my face (if I'm going out later in the day, this is also when I'll go ahead and do my make-up and hair). While LM is in the living room "watching" t.v. (I have the t.v. on Disney for background noise, he never actually watches except for when Imagination Movers comes on), I start emptying the dishwasher



and then clean up after breakfast. I usually start a load of laundry around this time

(after I took this picture, I realized how dirty the washing machine was so I immediately cleaned it)

and then I'll swish, swipe and tidy up the bathroom. After the laundry and bathroom are taken care of, I make my way to my bedroom to make the bed (usually LM follows me and we'll play peek-a-boo with the covers - his favorite game!).

When I'm finished, I look at my menu planner and see what's for dinner. If it's a crock pot meal, I go ahead and put everything into the crock pot and turn it on. If not, then I move whatever meat we're having from the freezer to the fridge for it to start to defrost.

After this is done, I go and play with LM until it's time to prep for lunch (which usually only takes a few minutes) and then it's back to playing. I start making lunch around 11:15, in the hopes that we can eat, change his diaper, go to the potty, and be ready for nap time by noon.

Nap time is when I have my "me" time during the day. I don't do anything during nap time, except things that I want to do, such as reading, blogging, crafts, watching a movie, etc. The only time I ever do anything during nap time is if we're expecting company and I need to use this time to do some cleaning.



After nap time, I prep for dinner, sort/recycle mail and do my zone cleaning, if it's zone cleaning day. I usually use this time, until it's time to make dinner, to just play, and spend it with LM, doing any arts and crafts, etc.

In the evening, I try to have dinner ready around 6, so that when my husband gets home, we can eat. After we eat, my husband helps me put everything away, tidy up the kitchen, wipe down the counters, stove and sink, and load the dishwasher.

After dinner, we spend time with LM, playing with him, reading to him, etc., until it's time for him to go to bed (7:30). We do our regular bedtime routine (potty time, bath, brush teeth, story) and then put him down for the night. The rest of the evening is mine and my husbands, to do whatever we want. Sometimes we spend it together, and other times we have things that we want to do on our own. I usually go to bed around 11:00 or 11:30 so that I will be fully rested and ready to do it all over again the next day.

Note: I try to break up my daily tasks into a morning routine, afternoon routine, and an evening routine. I don't have a set time for each thing to get done because, in reality, I'd never be able to follow that type of schedule. There are only 2 "tasks" throughout the day that have a set time for them to happen - nap time, and LM's bedtime.

If you want to learn more about morning, afternoon and evening routines, be sure to visit Flylady.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment